“Is it not time to let go of that pathetic and somewhat decadent postmodern nostalgia represented by Madonna and Gaga and allow globalization the chance to break through new cultural and visual styles?” quoted by Swide magazine.
Swide magazine has started way back in 2008, it is a new blogazine—a magazine with the tone and personality of a blog. It is an immediate channel for celebrity news, travel, design, food and art with a luxury element.
Swide described Kai as one who stands out among the 12 members out in terms of energy, charm, sex appeal and charisma. It may not be a revolution, EXO may not change the history of pop music, but a star is certainly born: Kai.
Kai of EXO-K answered a few questions for Swide.
1) Kai, for those of us who are unaware of who you are, can you introduce yourself please?
Nice to meet you, I’m Kai from EXO. The name of the group EXO is inspired by the idea of the Exoplanet, a star that comes from an unknown galaxy. The group is divided in two, EXO-K forKoreaand EXO-M forChina. (The M stands for Mandarin). In 2012, EXO-K and EXO-M launched the same song at the same time in the two different languages, in order to have a global impact. My specialty within the bad is dance: Dance Music and Hip Hop.
2) Your group name EXO-K is a term referring to planets outside of the solar system. When was the last time you experienced something out of this world?
As a child I always wanted to dance and sing, while everyone else wanted to play. Maybe that was my way of being out of this world!
3) EXO is made up of 6 guys. What are the different personalities in the group? What problems do you have?
EXO is made of 12 members-the group being divided in 2: EXO-K and EXO-M. I feel more at ease talking about my own group. EXO-K. Suho is the leader of the group, he is always very responsible. Chanyeol is the rapper and Baekhyun is the one amongst us who tends to sing the majority of the songs. The last two are the most fun, they always make us laugh. D.O. is the other voice, though he’s older than I am, but he is very sweet. Sehun is the youngest of the group and he just tries to get along with all of us. Each of us has a different character, but we always try to have mutual respect, it’s the most important thing.
4) Do EXO-K and EXO-M ever sing together?
Of course! Some times we perform together in the two languages. It’s fascinating, a truly global spectacle. Unique.
5) Speaking of South Korea and China, food is never far from my mind… I love South Korean food… you’re from Seoul, what would you cook for me if I cam to your house for dinner?
I’m so glad you like Korean food! We have so many delicious dishes. I love fish, and seafood. If you came to my house inKorea, I would happily cook for you a seafood soup.
6) So, let’s talk more about Kai. Looking at MAMA and the new Samsung ATIV Smart PC advert, you know how to dance… what is your performance training?
I started dancing when I was 9. I found it very useful to learn different styles of dance, from classical to jazz, dance and hip-hop. I practice everyday and I want to keep improving. Everyday is a good one to better yourself.
7) Your dance routines involve some… we could say ‘sexy’ moves. What do your parents think?
Eh eh… My parents love to watch me dance, since I was a child. They are still happy to watch me.
8) You are one of the hip-hop leaders in EXO-K, when did you discover the genre? Also in K-Pop, hip-hop is becoming an important characteristic; it’s not that mundane to mix electronic pop with rap! But you do it very well.
Thank you! When I was 16, I started becoming passionate about hip-hop, with my friends, I would love to learn how to sing melodically as well, so I’m studying a lot. I want to become a complete artist, one who can dance, sing and rap. Soon you’ll see all my talents.
9) What 3 word would you use to describe your attitude to life?
Passion, not just for music. I try to be passionate about everything I do in my life. Determination. Gratitude, I try to be grateful to others and the world for everything that I have had, that I have and that I will have in the future!
10) 3 words to describe Seoul?
Art, Fiume Han, dynamic
11) When are you most relaxed?
When I’m with my family.
12) 3 things you could not live without.
The bracelets my parents gave me; MP3, I can’t live without music; and headphones.
13) K-Pop is huge at the moment, all over the world. Apart form the music you make, what music are you into?
I listen to all types of music. At the moment I’m really into Super Junior, the song Sorry Sorry.
Article by Glenn & Alona
MORE RELATED ARTICLES