Hearts were pounding as soon as Taeyang released his first album in four years. His new album is not just about finding the right girl but it is the next chapter of maturity as an artist. The whole album includes piano sonatas composed by Taeyang himself with an all-star production team such as CHOICE37, EPIK HIGH’s Tablo, G-Dragon, and Teddy. The album reached #1 on numerous music charts in Korea including Mnet and Olleh. ‘Rise’ peaked at number 1 on the iTunes Charts in 10 countries and also #1 on the iTunes R&B music charts in 20 countries including the U.S.
01. Rise [INTRO]. The songs intro is composed by Taeyang himself and Peejay. The lyrics are written by Epik High’s Tablo, Chouce37 and Taeyang. The song marks the start of his album with an upbeat pop beat. Starting off ‘Throws your hands in the air“. The song is all about standing out and embracing your inner star or in Taeyangs case your inner sun.
02. 눈, 코, 입 Eyes, Nose, Lips Taeyang’s second title track, the lyrics were written by him and Teddy. Taeyang plays with strong instrumentals then slows down with the piano. Taeyang sings about losing. Taeyang goes in debt as portrays a man tormented by the lost of his lyrics as he sings softly against the piano that plays in the back ground. In this song Taeyangs keeps the ‘Wedding Dress’ demure. If you saw the video you could assume it is a follow up to what happened after ‘Wedding Dress’.
03. 1am The song was composed by no other Teddy, the song is the ultimate anthem. What would be assumed as a party song but in many cases is the male version of Beyoncé’s ‘Irreplaceable’ and moving on. As you listen to the song you’re thrown in the drivers seat as Taeyang sings the chorus (translation) I mindlessly chat with them/Get drunk in the music/Holding on to the end of the night as I dance/And when I think of you, it’s 1AM/As if I forgot you, I just start laughing/Spending nights with strange faces/Holding on to the end of the night as I dance/And when I think of you, it’s 1AM. In this particular song you sense the sobriety with a bit of insanity as he tries to hold it together and move on.
04. Stay with Me (Feat. G-Dragon) Another GD&YB collaboration after such a long time. The song starts Off with Taeyang singing with only the piano playing. After Taeyang sings the hook, it goes straight into G-Dragon’s rap verses. This is actually one of my favorite songs on the album specifically for the bridge that breaks into a church-like choir as G-Dragon throws in the verse “For worse or for better/Just stay with me forever”. The message of the song is when you have something worth fighting for you stick it out no matter what and a relationship is a team effort.
05. Body (Korean Title: 아름다워/Beautiful) Taeyang’s party anthem is indeed meant for fun amd nothing more. As it moves fast from soulful to electronic as he sings one peculiar hook that stands out and makes you wonder “Did I listen right?” Which is “I got that body/You got that body/Now you and me, let’s make somebody.” Written by Taeyang and Teddy, you really wonder what went on. The song over all is a fun song and meant for having a good time at the club and getting some tail.
06. Ringa Linga It’s the song that started it all and gave fans hope for a comeback and a long awaited release of his second album. The song is composed and written by G-Dragon. This song we see a different side of Taeyang which is far from the sweet boy next door but a wild child. Along with his new look and raps to it. The song has a catchy hook “Ringa Linga ling”. A contagious song all around.
07. 이게아닌데This Ain’t It This song ain’t about falling in love, it is about forgetting a theme Taeyang keeps thoroughly throughout the album. The song is about the awkward “what if?” after a breakup. The song is steadily paced and remains that way with an acoustic background.
08. Let Go This song is very interesting as it is about growing up as a lover, with a mellow additude. It goes from a 60’s like pop ballad and as it enters a mid-evil renaissance like melody. Taeyang sings his heart out about greed and with the message that all that glitters, isn’t gold.
09. Love You To Death The final song on the album and is also great close off. The song has an indie sound to it, the lyrics are poetically written and the song alone is soothing to any hipster. CL delivered a compelling bridge in the single with its echo background.
One thing that most of the songs had on the album was that the melody complimented the lyrics but the lyrics along were poetic. The album really shows Taeyang’s maturity as an artist. Each song was different but the theme of course was kept constant that you have to live and always keep moving no matter what. I was not disappointed by the album.
You can purchase the album on iTunes and enjoy!
Article by: Izzy Lopez
Edited by: KareBare
MORE RELATED ARTICLES