With the release of their comeback music video, Red Velvet has taken the K-pop world by storm! Their 3rd mini album by the same name as their comeback single, was also released on the same day. The seven track album was uploaded to Spotify for fans to enjoy. While some of the songs have the Red Velvet touch we all know so well, some of the other tracks are a new sound for the group. So, track by track, I will give you my review of the album.
Overall, the album is a great one. There is not one track that I skipped and I thoroughly enjoyed each song. Let’s start with track number one.
- ‘Russian Roulette‘ is not only the comeback title for the group, but the first song on the album. The song has a retro sound, with an upbeat, 80’s vibe. This song is the most Red Velvet feel on the album, reminding me of their ‘Dumb Dumb’ and ‘Ice Cream Cake‘ releases.
- This track is my favorite off the album. Titled ‘Lucky Girl‘, the song has a mix of genres all tied into one. Reminding me of the Andrew Sister’s ‘Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy‘ with a hint of 1960’s teen beach music, this is such a fun, party song. I’m excited to see what the group does with ‘Lucky Girl’ for live performances. It would be adorable if they had a cute 1940’s concept with it!
- Titled ‘Bad Dracula‘, the song is perfect for the upcoming Halloween season. This is also another dance track, with a hint of video game music in the background. It gave me a bit of a SHINee feel as well (I am biased, they are my favorite group!). The vocals are also very crisp on this track, even with all of the background effects.
- ‘Sunny Afternoon‘ is that feel good, driving on a sunny day with the windows down, kind of song. It is slower than the previous songs, but not enough to become a ballad. When I listen to this, I think of summer and the freedom that comes along with it. The perfect one to listen to after a long day!
- Tied with ‘Lucky Girl’ as my favorite song, is ‘Fool‘. This song has an American new country sound to it. The acoustic guitar adds nicely to their amazing vocals. The chorus is very catchy, and it will be stuck in your head all day long. I wish they would record an English version of this song. Personally, I feel it would be a hit if they released an English version in the United States.
- ‘Some Love‘ has a Reggae vibe to it and is also another great hit for summer. The build up before the chorus is very nice, giving me a floating feeling. It has the staying power to dominate the charts in America, too, if an English version was released. I really hope the concept for this song is something fresh and beach related for their live performance.
- The last track on the album titled ‘My Dear‘ follows their comeback single with an 80’s vibe and softer than ‘Russian Roulette’. I could see someone like Wham!, a 1980’s English duo, singing this song in their prime. It’s a very pleasant, relaxing track to tie up the ending to the album.
‘Russian Roulette’ is top notch! The production is out of this world and of course, Red Velvet themselves dominates with their beautiful voices. I highly recommend this album and give it a 10 out of 10.
Stay tuned with Officially KMUSIC to read about the latest album reviews!
Edited By: Sara Fox
MORE RELATED ARTICLES