Within just one month of its release, PSY’s ‘Gangnam Style’ has recorded more than 42 millions views on YouTube! Needless to say, the whole world has been shaken up by ‘Gangnam Style’. Even PSY’s quirky dances moves, such as ‘horseback riding’, took over dance floors all around the world.
Nelly Furtado, a popular American singer, presented her own English version of ‘Gangnam Style’ while performing in the Philippines in the city of Manila (check out the video here). It was also revealed that PSY had been to LA on August 15 to meet with Justin Bieber’s agency to discuss a possible collaboration.
This great original song naturally inspired the creation of countless parody and reaction videos while more are being uploaded on a daily basis.
Check out the some of the most popular parody videos below. Which one do you like the most?
1. PONY GANGNAM STYLE – colorful and cute version, featuring brown pony with sunglasses. With only 30 seconds, the ‘horseback riding’ dance moves have been demonstrated accurately.
2. HONGDAE STYLE – One of the first parody videos to emerge on YouTube, presents Hongdae – a district in Seoul known for its underground music culture and nightlife. The video was produced by Trend Factory who walks around the streets of Hongdae while dressed in a similar fashion as PSY. This version is played in every club in Hongdae.
3. BYUNTAE STYLE – Byuntae means ‘perverted’ in Korean and from this perspective, comedian and musician David So, remade PSY’s original video. All famous scenes, such as the elevator, sauna and a dance battle scenes were included with his touch of creativity. Many YouTube personalities, including Arden Cho, Ally Maki, Bart Kwan, Chris Dinh, Dumbfounded, Travis Garland appeared in ‘Byuntae Style’.
4. AVATAR LOK: GANGNAM STYLE – the video features a few people dressed in the ‘Avatar’ style, presenting their own version of ‘horseback riding’. In this version, the lyrics stayed unchanged.
5. OPPA CHICAGO STYLE – another parody video from a different city, this time it’s Chicago. In this version, it started with the guy sporting a one-piece women’s swimsuit walking down the streets of Chicago and had women’s underwear thrown at him instead of foam. This video featured the vocals of Dong Lim with slightly modified lyrics.
6. OPPA-YA DAEGU STYLE – another video from another city. This time it’s Deagu. The video presents the Daegu accent and it was the main point of this version. ‘Daegu Style’ uses similar scenes adding its own hilarious flavor.
7. GANGNAM STYLE PARODY (Eng. Version) – created by popular Melbourne-based YouTube entertainer MyChonny. The main points of this video are the misheard English lyrics and MyChonny’s friends dressed up as Yoo Jaesuk and another character from the original music video.
8. MIGUK STYLE – this video presents the ‘American Style’ (Miguk Style). In this version, a girl dressed up as PSY to remake the most popular scenes from the original video.
9. GANGNAM STYLE (SINGAPORE PARODY) – with unchanged lyrics, the video presents Gangnam Style in a unique Singaporean way. This version also includes the famous ‘horseback riding’ as well as other popular scenes from original music video.
10. EATYOURKIMCHI STYLE (GANGNAM STYLE PARODY) – famous Canadian YouTube couple who is currently exploring life in South Korea, made their own version of ‘Gangnam Style’ called ‘EatYourKimchi Style’ (EatYourKimchi is the name of their YouTube channel). They recreated the most popular scenes from the original music video in their own unique style with the help of their adorable pets.
11. BIGBANG’S SEUNGRI CHALLENGED PSY’S GANGNAM STYLE – the video was uploaded on PSY’s official Facebook page. BigBang’s Seungri, known as the hero of variety shows, challenged PSY’s ‘Gangnam Style’. In the video Seungri shows off his own, hilarious version of the ‘horseback riding’ dance.