On May 15th, SONEs and other fans of Sunny, celebrate her 28th (27th international) birthday.
Lee Soon-kyu (born May 15, 1989), known professionally as Sunny was born in Orange County, California USA.
She has various nicknames such as Soonkyu, DJ Soon, Ssun, Sunny Bunny, Choi Danshin (the shortest).
Here are some facts about our ball of sunshine:
- Sunny is the shortest member of SNSD with a height of 158cm.
- Sunny is in charge of aegyo (cutesy acts) in SNSD.
- She is not really fond of her real name, Soon-kyu because it sounds old and outdated.
- The name Soon-kyu lives on through her participation in variety show ‘Invincible Youth’ where Sunny revealed her hard-working side as a farmer. Many viewers thought “Soonkyu” was a nickname given to fit her persona of hard-working country-side girl in the show, while in fact it’s her real name. She also gained the nickname “Chicken-catcher Soonkyu” thanks to her impressive ability to catch chicken.
- Sunny was born in United States, and later moved to Kuwait. But, then her family moved back to South Korea because of the Gulf War.
- Sunny has a phobia to fireworks and loud sounds, probably because of the Gulf War experience she had.
- Sunny is an avid gamer.
- Sunny is a niece to SM Entertainment’s founder and former CEO, Lee Sooman.
- Sunny shares the same birthday with both of her older sisters.
- Sunny and Yuri are the ones who get the choreography wrong most of the time…
- Sunny’s sleeping habit is that she mumbles like a puppy but Taeyeon insists that she mumbles like an alien.
- Sunny’s the last to join SNSD and the one who received the shortest training in SM Ent; that was because she was trained in another company, owned by singer Wheesung, for five years but the company went bankrupt so Sunny auditioned to SM Entertainment instead.
Her debut with SNSD in their music video ‘Into The New World’:
Her time as Radio DJ:
Sunny and Yoona covering Maroon5
Her close sisterly bond with Jessica
MORE RELATED ARTICLES